If you ask me, there's nothing better than fresh bread right out of the oven on a Sunday morning and I'm pleased to say I've found a super easy fail-proof recipe that delivers just that with minimal work on the actual Sunday morning. How? You prepare the dough the night before!
10 min preparation time, 8 hours of rising followed by 15 minutes in the oven, done!
Here's what you need: 25g yeast
1/2l cold water
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp salt
700g of spelt flour
Optional: pumpkin or sunflower seeds
1. Crumble the yeast in a large bowl and poor in the water, olive oil, honey & salt. Mix until the yeast is dissolved.
2. Add the flour bit by bit. You might not need the entire 700g - the dough should hold together nicely but still be quite wet. (keep the left over flour for the next morning!)
3. Cover the bowl (beeswax wrap is great for this) and put it in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
The next morning: 1. Preheat the oven to 225°C
... and here is where I divert from the original (Swedish) recipe which says to dust your work surface with flour & pour the content of your bowl onto it, cut it into 12 pieces and place them on a lined baking tray. I simply:
2. Take the bowl out of the fridge
3. Spoon large dollops of the dough into a little bowl with seeds.
4. Pick it up with floured hands and put it on a lined bakingtray. Repeat until the bowl is empty.
If your dough is too wet to do this, simply add some flour and remember to add more from the start next time you try this recipe. ;)
5. Place the tray in the middle of the oven for 15-20 min (depending on the size of your dollops) and set the table for an amazing breakfast!